Present that tomorrow you won’t become. What will you leave behind?
Scandinavians presented to the world many interesting things — from Hans Christiaan Andersen and Astrid Lindgren’s books to lifestyles hygge and a log. The next gift concerns the organization of house space and maintenance of purity.
Döstädning — in translation from Swedish it is translated approximately as “agonal cleaning”. In less frightening terms — “cleaning as if last time”.
The author of a concept, the Swedish artist Margareta Magnussen who published the book with a little controversial name “Delicate art of the Swedish agonal cleaning: how to exempt itself and the family from a lifelong disorder”, I put forward a simple thesis: “Look around. What will remain after you if tomorrow you die?” And unexpectedly this thesis turned into a fashionable trend.
Why it is necessary
Margarete Magnussen for 80, and originally she wrote the book for people is more senior 50 — those someone, as well as she, already thinks of the inevitable vital final. Most of people go down stream: buy new things, store old, don’t attach significance to the disorder and stuff which accumulated in the dwelling. Very few people ask himself a question: and what happens to these things if directly today I suddenly don’t become?
Your successors will see all that disorder which you left behind. And if there will be too much things, hardly they will be able to understand what of them are really important and will be able to serve as a reminder on you and that represents unnecessary second-hand articles. A part of things will go to a garbage can. A part — on sales. Or perhaps your relatives even should employ the cleaning company to rake all that disorder which you left behind?
I often wonder: whether someone will become happier if I leave this thing in the house?
When the answer sounds as “no”, I get rid of it.
From this point of view the concept of Döstädning suggests to approach the organization of house space. The aim of cleaning becomes absolutely clear: to facilitate a task to relatives. To leave behind light, “true” memory. To make so that each thing in the house was filled with sense — and then hardly you will have many things, so and to keep order in the house will become absolutely simple task.
Besides, there is one more bonus: “agonal” cleaning isn’t tiresome at all. Touching the objects filling your house, getting rid of unnecessary and concentrating on important, you will be able to reconsider the life, to overestimate it, to leave the most expensive memoirs in memory. And then — to live in the space organized, filled with air and light.
7 rules of cleaning in Swedish
Cleaning “as if last time” hasn’t enough rules, it is intuitive. However several key moments after all are, and it is important to concentrate on them.
- Even if to you less than 50, this concept is suitable for you too
The idea of “agonal” cleaning is efficient at any age. Already from the childhood we know what things are important for us, cause warm memoirs and give joy and what — aren’t present. This method is suitable for everyone someone wants to simplify and order the life.
- You bring order smoothly, slowly, but continuously. You not just clean up the concept of Döstädning — you touch the life. In this process there is no place to haste and vanity, he can’t be limited to a concrete period. “Agonal” cleaning is considered as change of a way of life, but not as banal wipe of dust and unfolding of things on cases/
- Sound to relatives, what are you doing Having told the family and friends why and why you get rid of things and you update rules of the organization of space, you will make the intentions obvious. It will force you to feel responsibility and not to give up process halfway.
- You give to people of a thing who don’t have the place in your life. Once you spent money and time for purchase of these objects, and in them for certain there is the value. But not for you. Probably, this value someone will be able to feel another. Give things such chance! Your friends will be for certain glad to books (at least, some). To toys and clothes — the needing families. And you get the joy not only of establishing order in own life, but also from donation process.
- Begin cleaning with a case or wardrobe. Magnussen assures that it is the least emotionally expensive step: clothes and footwear we leave more simply, than books, jewelry or toys. Having begun with simple, it will be easier to continue.
- Remember that this cleaning has also psychotherapeutic effect. She not about the coming final. She reconsidering the life and to place emphasis on the most important. “Agonal” cleaning — a such simple and delicate way to write clear and simple own story.
- You thank yourself for made. After you completed the next intermediate stage of establishing order, thank yourself for it. And even reward: the visit of cinema, beautiful manicure, a new hairstyle or, for example, a dinner in cozy cafe with the closest can become an award. It will be good emotional support on your way.